Well, June was fantastic and lookie here...we are already 3 days into July with no post! That's actually a good thing! Today, I am using down time between the daytime beach and the nighttime bonfire on the beach to get caught up with some things around the love loft, including blog posts.
So I'm looking back at the June goals, and for the first time in I don't know how many months, I'm feeling calm, not frantic and behind-in-life. No, I didn't accomplish every goal, but instead, I feel like I accomplished something better. I feel much more in-tune. I feel like the goals weren't something to check off a list, but more like a guide-meter as to where I need to work more and where I need to slow down. (I guess changing the name from "goals" to "opportunities" worked some kind of magic, afterall)
1) Cutting out animal products: I didn't completely cut out, but I certainly cut down. My meals were, for the most part, much more planned and less random. The thing I found out most, this month, is that my problems wasn't so much WHAT I was eating as WHEN I was eating. I've finally embraced the fact that it's necessary for me to eat lunch AND dinner at work (sometimes breakfast, too) Oftentimes, I don't leave until 8:00 pm. And I've been trying to get through the work day without eating a whole lot, then go to the gym, then eat dinner at, like, 9:30 pm. Not good. And interestingly, as I've been bringing MORE food to work and eating more during the day, the weight came off more easily (4 pounds down in June) Plus, working out has been MUCH more pleasant. Yay me.
2) DVD Classes done: No. Not even close. But I do have a week off in July. So I could dedicate one hour per day to the DVD classes in July and get those done.
3) Start the Artist's Way Again: Yes. and yes again. I started it, and then 3 weeks in, found an online community that was starting it on June 28. So I stopped for a week and started over again on June 28th. Which is good, because I kind of enjoyed doing the posts about TAW last year and just didn't get into it this time around, but I will again now that I started over. (anyone follow that?)
4) Decaffeinate: Like goal #1, I didn't cut out completely, but I cut down significantly. ANd I found that as I ate more, I needed less caffeine in the pm. ANd that I pretty much used caffeine to deal with stress (which is really kind of ass-backward). But thinking before I drink a diet Coke and dealing with what's stressing me rather than sucking down my liquid heroin in a can has helped me to cut back a lot. Just not on the days I'm still at work at 8 pm.
5) Swim One Mile in Pond, 50 Mile Bike Ride, 15 Mile Run: Another discovery: there's a big difference between healed for every day things and healed for athletics. So even though I'm not getting back pain and radiating pain down my leg every day anymore, I AM getting knee pain after 35 miles on the bike, and after 8 miles running. So I'm designating July as a high level rehab month. Lots of focus on core, back stabilizaion, and leg strengthening. I really need it.
6) Journal Every Day this MOnth: success!
7) PR in sprint tri: I completed a sprint tri. Did not PR, though. (see #5)
8) Go hiking: No hiking. Lots of kayaking, though.
9) Girl's Nite Out: success!!
10) 4 more snail mail letters: success.
So overall, a pretty good month. I'm super-excited for July. The weather is spectacular!!
Back later with July Opportunities!