Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Fitness Schmitness

Last May, I found and fell in love with a new fitness class. In general, I'm not a new-trend kind of girl when it comes to fitness. I prefer go to the gym: cardio, lift, abs, done. (Or better yet, bypass the gym altogether and go outside!) Spinning, soul-cycle, hot yoga; not my cup of tea. For a while, I just assumed I have gotten too old for the new fitness classes. Then, I discovered Pound!

Pound isn't so much a workout class, as a trip down memory lane. Remember coming home from school and blasting Mtv when your Mom wasn't home to turn down the volume? Drumming on the desk with pencils when you were supposed to be doing your math homework ? Or later- cranking the radio and driving faster than the speed limit as you banged out the beat on the steering wheel? That's Pound.


In Pound, you have a set of lightly weighted plastic drumsticks which you bang on the floor, clap together over your head, reach to the side, reach forward, reach back- the possibilities are endless. But hitting the floor is the most fun. All the while, great music is playing- LOUD. I'm not talking the  dance/house/electronic music that usually accompanies workout classes. I'm talking classic rock, grunge, heavy metal, and some bad-ass rocker-chic empowerment songs. This was my kind of class!

At the end of my first Pound class, I thought: well, that was fun, but I don't really think I got a good workout. I'll just do extra tomorrow.

Then tomorrow came, and I could barely drag myself out of bed to the warm shower to stretch my aching body. Wow! I've never encountered a workout class that works the obliques more. I was as sore as I am the day after a tough mudder. I was immediately hooked.



And so summer passed, and my favorite part of the week was Pound. (Even when they played more top-40-ish songs, instead of classic rock!) I started to learn the moves, I started to get less sore, I started to think that maybe I was a fitness-trend kind of girl, after all. I loved it!

At the end of my work contract, I found another job in another town. My first order of business after moving and getting settled was to find the gym with the best Pound class. To my dismay, I learned that none of the area gyms HAD a Pound class! What was I ever going to do? My favorite part of the week was gone!

I got a DVD from the Pound website. Which was okay- but for some reason had generic, bland house music in the background. Plus, pounding alone isn't nearly as much fun as pounding with a group. Every time I went to the gym to workout (cardio, lift, abs, done), I thought: "Somebody around here really needs to start a Pound class!"

And then I thought: "I'm somebody."

Which is how last weekend I found myself at a class to become a fitness rebel- with Pound certification!

to be continued...

No comments: