Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Looking Back at November

November was a humbling experience. It taught me quite a bit about overcommitting and prioritizing.  My big, ambitious goal for November was to declutter the storage area over my parents garage. It turned out to be a much bigger endeavor than I expected.

An entire month to declutter  a storage area seems reasonable, doesn't it? I thought so. But I failed to take into account that the storage area hasn't been cleaned or organized in over 20 years. Once I started, the job just seemed to get bigger and bigger. Boxes piled on boxes piled on even more boxes. I went through them all! I divided all the contents into keeps, throw aways, donates, and gift.  (there were lots of things that had never been used) There's a big pile of "sell" items.

The storage unit is now divided into different zones, instead of all just cluttered together.  The boxes are neatly stacked within the zones. Everything is labeled. Anyone looking for well, anything, can find it easily now.

And I'm exhausted.

The good news is that I did accomplish my big, ambitious goal.

The not so good news is that some of my other goals had to take a back seat.

November Goals:

1) Healthy Eating Plan:  About half credit. I kept up with a good eating plan for about 2 weeks. And then the decluttering took all my free time. BOO!

2) Daily Writing Practice: Big Fat Fail on this one.  December's another chance, though.

3) BIG DECLUTTER: Success. Thank goodness! So many trips to the thrift store. So much tossed in the garbage. And a big pile to sell.

4) Side Hustle in Place: No go on this one.  Sigh.

5) Outdoor Activities: Partial credit. Did two hikes. No runs or family thing. But it did rain a lot this month.

6) Read and Pass Along 2 Books: SUCCESS!  I finished Walking to Listen and The Mother Tongue and gave them to two friends.

7) Marathon Training and Daily Stretching: SUCCESS!  I'm actually on track with this one. And I decided upon a spring marathon that looks pretty fun.

8) Continuing Ed Completed: DONE! Yay! Three in a row is making me feel a little better.

9) Xmas Gifts Purchased: Half done. Gonna finish up this weekend.

10) Another Girl's Night: Success. Or a girl's day, rather. Went to the movies with my besties and Shell's daughter.

So about half completed. Not as bad as I thought.  Feeling a little better and looking forward to December goals.

1 comment:

Carolina John said...

Yay for finding a spring marathon! I found a couple of fall marathons taking me to Oregon and Tennessee.

Good job sticking with the tough decluttering storage space. That sounds really tough. I am soooooooo not looking forward to decluttering my parents house.