Friday, February 28, 2014

February Goals

On February 28th, every year, I have the exact same thought: "Wow. February is the shortest month, but it seems like the longest month." It's like groundhog day 26 days later.

February is the absolute hardest month in terms of motivation for me. The newness of the January 1st resolutions have worn off, but the summer is too far away to have any real effect. Plus, it's cold. Really really cold. And snowy.

I've shoveled more times this February than I care to count. (and we are supposed to get another foot on Sunday night)  *sigh* That's what February does to me. Even on an Olympic year.

So basically, this is just a very long winded way of saying - My February Goals? are a complete fail.

FEBRUARY GOALS

1) 28 day HIIT  plan plus cardio: Ok, I'm gonna give this half credit. Because guess what? HIIT every day for 28 days is not a good idea. I know this intellectually. But as with all of my ill-founded ideas, it started with my getting all psyched up and not knowing where to draw the line. 28 days of HIIT is over the line. As is replicating a professional free style snowboarder's workout routine (also a HIIT program). The end result? Injury.

The upside? This unfortunate incident put me back in the slow, form-driven weight lifting mindset. I really really like lifting weights when my mind isn't all crowded with tabatta and HIIT and multi-plane functional movement exercises. Sometimes (for instance post injury) you just have to execute a no-nonsense weight program and some sensible cardio to get you past the February hump. And cut yourself some slack for calling an hour of shoveling snow "good enough for today's workout."

2) 1 new recipe per week: Again, half credit. I made two yummy delicious soups I found on Pinterest. Big ol' pot of soup on Sunday, freeze and eat many times over. However, sometimes life throws you a curveball that can upset even something as wholesome as Sunday cooking.

(Ever have a roommate who freaks out if you cook with garlic?) Yeah. Well, luckily my plan is to move soon.

3) Continue Downsizing One Thing per Day: Still doing it, still oddly fun. A few years ago I did this same challenge and posted each day what I got rid of. Really didn't feel motivated to do that this time around. There are a lot of organizational blogs out there that can make the description of cleaning out a sock drawer actually entertaining. I fear that as much as I enjoy clearing out my space, I'm not obsessed enough to make others join in my reindeer games. But I did make a lot of trips to the thrift store.

4) Secure Travel Job for March or April: Licenses? Check. Applications in? Check. Response? blank. I'm still waiting. That's okay. That's what February is for. Waiting.

5) Go skiing 2x this month: Epic fail. Not at all. I did go cross country skiing with my friend and got a taste of not only skiing myself but assisting with cross country sit-skiing. (she has a spinal cord injury) Do I count this as skiing? No. That wasn't my goal. But it was my reality.

6) Get cute Valentine's Day gifts for the nieces and nephews. Check. They really loved the gifts. And I got this out of the deal:


7) Read (and get rid of) 6 Books.  Read 5 1/2 books. Got rid of 5. Not too shabby.

8) Take off some of the weight I put back on: Ok, I was going for 6 pounds, I got rid of 2. But considering that it's February, I'll take it!

9) Post 23 times this month: Um, THAT didn't happen. Can I blame the Olympics?

10) Girl's nite out with J and S: Change that to girl's nite IN, and we'll call it a winner.

And now on to the much more motivating MARCH!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

As well as the collect is normally nothing or making improvements much more view primarily the style workouts or perhaps it is equally in the gratification using points want precise inclinations re vogue halloween costumes, fake louis vuitton bags this approach forms of shower towels which frequently suit you will or possibly plainly blindly comply with this approach workouts demonstrated using various makes additionally big businesses additionally varieties bargain delicious handbags? replica dior Therefore much more analyze both points- any option, financial resources, fake chanel handbags additionally your own option re precise device independent of the vogue norms additionally the things simple steps you ought to go along with these individuals! replica chanel At that time precisely what is normally which usually appropriate vogue halloween costumes? replica hermes Quite frankly specified, it really is all types connected with will be able to dresses of which you prefer to experience before its due by means of additionally saturday.