Monday, May 5, 2008

strolling down memory lane

So, of course, since it is Monday and we are all going back to work, the rain cleared up to reveal a beautiful, sunny spring day. (It looked glorious out the window as I toiled away). Of course, they gave us free chips, salsa and guacamole in the cafeteria at work, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Back at the homestead, or rather at mom and dad's homestead where I am taking care of Sully, the wonderdog, I got to take 2 one hour walks and 2 shorter (5 or so minute) walks for Sully to empty his wonderbladder. YEAH, at long last, spring has finally errupted all around. The trees are all in bloom, the leaves are that wonderful yellow-y green color, and it smells so earthy and fresh.

It reminds me of when I was younger, in junior high and high school. When we would walk around the neighborhood at all hours, for lack of anything better to do, and also because it made us feel like we were doing SOMETHING. Something now that would be something really exciting later on in life, when we had things like driver's licenses and jobs. But for that moment in time, it was the coolest thing we could do.

The funny thing is, now it seems like the coolest thing to do again. When my friends with kids are all asleep by 9:00 pm. And when going out with my single friends sometimes seems like a visit to the the back trailers with all the carnies, just walking around the neighboorhood I grew up in with the best yellow lab in the world surrounded by flowers and leaves and the scent of spring is just about the most pleasant way to spend the evening.

No comments: