Saturday, February 2, 2008



Ahhh, February, my old nemesis. This is the year I will try to make friends with you. Lord knows, last year we were not so nice to each other. This year comes with a set of tasks that shoud make the road a little smoother. (Hopefully)

(1) For 30 days...I will not watch any television. Well, with a couple of exceptions. The Super Bowl, of course. Go Patriots! and maybe the Oscars (if we decide to have the Oscars party, complete with red carpet and golden treats. Then again, we may just opt for the PJ party again). The whole point not being "I can't socialize with friends if a TV is in the room", but to stop the mindless vegging on the sofa when there are other things I could be occupying my time with. Like finishing those scrapbooks. Or playing that GI-TAR. It's a great time to go for it. The writers are still on strike and the reality shows have sunk to an all new low. (a show about people answering questions while hooked up to a polygraph machine? Really? Seriously?) Nobody needs to watch that. Especially me.

(2) My book of the month is "Drowning Ruth". Not a high school curriculum book, but an Oprah Book Club book. A couple years ago this was all the buzz, everyone was talking about it. I was a little out of the loop. And while one could argue that I am still out of the loop (nobody's talking about it anymore) I'm okay with that. When have I ever really been in the loop? Never.

(3) Since my adventures in consumerism left me dazed and confused last month, and since I had to make another unexpected grand purchase (new ipod) I figured this month, I would force myself to purchase not an item, but a service. Get my freaking hair cut! How many other people in the world need to make getting a haircut a task on a bloglist in order to do it? Just me? Ok. My last haircut was in MAY (and only because one week after taking the hard top off the Jeep, I couldn't stand the dread-locked mess I had become). Its time. Maybe with a smashing new top and a stylish new 'do I could score more free crap when going out. Which brings us to...

(4) I owe a trip to the movies to January. And I need to go out to see a band in February. And I need to talk to somebody I don't know there. Not to flirt or get a phone number. Just to lube up the social areas of the psyche and break out of the introvert bubble I've been swimming around in.

(5) Party/ get together/ thingee: Oscar nite. Or Miss America nite. Or maybe just another PJ nite. As long as I am hanging out with the non-going out crowd and maybe being a little snarky at the same time. (Snarky toward the Oscar nominees and Miss A contestants. Not each other)

(6) Run a marathon. Technically, I have done this before, so it isn't "something I have never done". But I only ran one. Eight years ago. And I didn't run it side by side with a friend. So this is new enough.

(7) I also vow to do something CRAZY on Valentines Day. Not sure what. But, since I will be arriving in Myrtle Beach, SC on V-Day and hanging out with a gay man (my very own Will to my Grace. My back up plan if I decide to just stuff the whole life-path thing and give in to the dream of growing old with a platonic friend) I am sure we will think of something.

(8) I will try a new recipe. Sounds sort of lame, I know. But we have to add spice to our lives in any little way possible. Plus, I like food.

So that's it in a nutshell. The month of pink and red and flowers and hearts. Mine to shred as I wish.

No comments: