Ten Things I Believe In:
1) I believe that in their purest form, religion, science, and art are all the same thing: glimpses of TRUTH. I think we all need to explore all three in order to understand ourselves and our world more clearly. I believe it is our duty to do so.
2) Conversely, I believe that in their most perverse form, religion, politics, and hype are all the same thing: attempts to OBSCURE truth and exert control over others. I think we all need to stay informed and not fall prey to these tactics. I believe this is our duty, as well.
3) I believe nobody ever has or ever will look as good in leather pants as JIM MORISSON.
4) I believe in LOVE. I believe two people can meet, get to know one another, fall in love, and commit to spending the rest of their lives together. I do not, however, believe in soul mates. There are far too many people out there to believe that I could only be truly happy with ONE.
5) I DON'T believe that "everything happens for a REASON". I believe that lots of things happen for absolutely no reason at all. However, I think that everyone has the choice to pick up the pieces and make sense of their lives. I believe that lots of people become better people in the wake of tragedy. But I don't believe the tragedy happened in order for the person change.
6) Like Ben Franklin, I believe that BEER is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Ditto for ice cream.
7) I believe in LEARNED HELPLESSNESS. On a few rare occasions, I have been on the ball enough to help somebody over the hump and onto learned independence. On several other occasions, I have unfortunately missed the mark completely. Though I am still finding my way in the road to serving others, I'm pretty sure I'm a lot closer to the mark than Dr. Phil.
8) Likewise, though I may not know the secret to SUCCESS, I believe that Donald Trump is so far off the mark he is pointing in the wrong direction.
9) I believe that all lists of ten items contain one FILLER.
10) I believe that the cure for cynicism is to spend lots of time in NATURE. One day I hope to make my livelihood in the outdoors. Wish me luck!