Monday, April 2, 2012

Cooking for the clueless

I started this week with a renouned effort to eat more veggies than I already do. I mean, I love veggies, but sometimes when I get busy, I grab the first thing I can to eat. Which often isn't veggies. It takes planning, I've learned. And this week I plan on eating:

Tortolan Chick Pea and Spinach with Rice  (adapted from Beyond the Moon Cookbook by Ginny Callan) 

1 pound coursely chopped fresh spinach
1 cup hummus
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups frozen pepper and onion mix
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini
1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
3/4 cup frozen peas
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sweet ginger garlic seasoning
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cups cooked rice

Steam spinach and squeeze dry. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Sautee garlic. Add pepper and onion mix until onions are translucent. Stir in zucchini and cook until soft. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, peas, and spices.



YUMMY!

Remove from heat and stir in veggie mixture into rice. Add hummus and salt and pepper to taste.




The hummus gives it a nice, creamy taste...healthy comfort food!

(And I must say...having an actual stove to cook on makes cooking much easier!)

Daily check in:

water = 7 glasses
veggies = 7 servings


Daily fun:
I watched The Muppets while preparing dinner and have been singing   "Ma-na Ma-na" all night!

No comments: