Tuesday, October 29, 2013

APPLES AND KALE

I like kale. I like spinach better. But I don't really have to choose between them, do I? The vegetables aren't going into a bidding war for my taste buds so there is room for everyone.

Spinach is sweet, like many vegetables that satisfy my sweet tooth: carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, something not orange. Kale is more bitter, which is nice, too, but doesn't have the same appeal to my sweet sensitivities.

I found this recipe on Pinterest a while ago, but like most other things I find on Pinterest, I basically pinned it on a pretty board and forgot about it. Tonight, I decided to actually use one of the recipes when I pulled out a nice big bunch of kale I picked up at the market this week. It doesn't run from kale's bitter flavor -- it actually celebrates the bitterness and complements it with vinegar, mustard, and tart apples.

KALE AND APPLES WITH MUSTARD

1) Coarsely chope 1 and a half pounds of kale, removing ribs.


2) Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add kale and cook until bright green, about 1-2 minutes, tossing occasionally.



3) Add 2/3 cup water, cover, and cook for 3 more minutes.

4) Stir in 2 sliced granny smith apples. Cover and cook until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.



5) In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 4 teaspoons brown mustard, 


2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1 pinch salt.



6) Add the mustard mixture to the kale, turn the heat up to high and boil for 3-4 minutes, uncovered.



Yummy! I really enjoyed the flavors in this dish. If I make it again (and I probably will) I think I'll put the apples in later so they stay a little crisper, not as mushy. But overall, a thumbs up to this recipe!

No comments: