Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I woke up this morning to pouring rain and hurricane force gales that made me roll right over and go back to sleep for another half hour. Plus, I was really sore from my new workout regeime so I figured a day off was ok. I did give myself a safety net by packing some gym clothes and leaving them in the car. I could always go to the gym after work.

Around lunch time, it became abundantly clear that this was not going to happen. I'm tired, I'm sore, its still raining, I hate March almost as much as I hate February. I'm going home and curling up on the sofa with a book.

And then I met my new patient. Very nice lady. Really sweet. Oh, and did I mention that she is 5'3" and 290 pounds? AFTER her leg amputation? Plus, lots of non healing wounds on the intact leg and buttocks, along with wounds inside skin folds on her back. Diabetes, peripheral neuropathy, asthma, and 2 heart attacks. 46 years old. FORTY SIX!!!

And I bet I know how this whole downward spiral began: she said "Oh, I'm tired. I'm going to skip the gym just this once." Ok, probably not. But suffice it to say, I somehow found the energy to haul my sorry ass to the gym. My ass may be disproportionately large, but its nowhere near 290. Nor shall it ever be. Now if I could just stop snacking at night.....

No comments: