Sunday, January 15, 2012

Disney Marathon Race Report

Sometimes I wish I were the kind of person who kept close tabs on every mile run, my pace, my fatigue level, my heart rate, my refueling strategy. Then I could be the kind of person who wrote a detailed race report complete with where I was strong and where I need improvement and how my goals for the next race will differ.

I am not one of those people.

So my race reports look something like this: Sunday Jan 8th -- ran 26.2 miles, showered, swam in the pool, stuffed my face, and slept 10 hours. It was a good day!

It was a slow marathon, for sure, partly because there were so many participants, partly because I was in a late wave, partly because so many people were following the Jeff Galloway walk/run approach and there was an awful lot of maneuvering around walkers, but mostly because I had to stop and get my picture taken with Mickey and Minnie and Jimminy Cricket, and Mary Poppins, and Captain Jack Sparrow. It was a fun race!

And I think that maybe that should really be my overall goal for every race this year: finish and have fun. To hell with PR's and strategies and making forward progress and all that. Finish and have fun. Period.

Lately I've been feeling so overwhelmed by work that the last thing I need is more work from my play. When I run marathons or halves or do tri's, the one thing I DO remember is how much FUN I have. How much I feel like I'm part of something that's bigger than I am. How much I love what I'm doing and who I'm doing it with (all these strangers who are my best friends for an hour or six). Why would I want to mess with that?

Finish and have fun.

I'm one of those people.

No comments: