Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cooking into the night

So last week, I thought I would try a new recipe that would give me something to snack on when I get the hungry horrors at night. SOmething that has a little less sugar, a little healthier, but would satisfy the nightie munchies nicely.

I had a recipe for "Energy Balls" that I got, I think, from a magazine at the gym. I wasn't thrilled with the name. But I was sure I'd love them. I had already decided that I would carry these snackies around with me everywhere and with a wink and a nod to Alec Baldwin, I would call them "Schweddy Balls"

3 c dried dates
1 c crushed almonds
2 Tablespoons sesamee seeds
1 Tablespoon honey

Mix together in a food processor or blender and form into 1" balls
Roll in shredded coconut and freeze or refrigerate

These are...ok. They taste like dates and almonds. Not like chocolate. Or peanutbutter. Which is often what I crave when I get the hungry horrors. But they aren't bad. I think I just need to get used to eating things like dates and almonds for a snack.

I'm not carrying them around with me everywhere. And I'm not calling them Schweddy Balls. But I am keeping them in my freezer and popping them in my mouth instead of peanutbutter cups.

I call them "Night Terrors".

Just kidding.

Give me a month. I won't be able to live without them.

Or I'll just try the alternate recipe that involves nut butter.

No comments: