Monday, December 20, 2010

Snow and a question

It's Monday...and a snowy Monday at that. I was all in love with the snow this morning, awed at how pretty and white everything looks. By the time I got out of work today, warmed up the car, scraped all the ice and snow off the car, cranked the defrost up to high, and drove home on the slippery, unplowed roads; well, I was over it. Exactly one day to get over the snow. (Bah Humbug!)

But, since it's Monday, its also time for the 50 Questions to Free Your Mind:

Week 8

If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?

Well, if that were the case, I would have died last Wednesday! (But then again, I plan on living beyond the average life span anyway, so maybe not)

Looking back, I'd live a little more in my teens and early 20s. I was always the girl who did exactly as she was told. Got good grades, studied hard, came in on time, never did anything that would cause my parents grief. (and yet, I still was always in trouble. Go figure) You could say that I was preparing for a sensible life.

It wasn't until I was in my mid 20s that I figured out that I didn't want a sensible life! I wanted to drive across the country with the top down and my dreadocked, purple hair blowing in the wind. I wanted to climb mountains and swim with the dolphins and camp in the desert. I wanted the unconventional life, not the white picket fence and 2 children and dog. (Ok, I wanted a dog. I big, friendly, slobbery one)

I love reading memoirs; the good, sensible, girls who did everything they were told don't write memoirs. They'd be too boring. And yet, the wild crazy people -- the ones who did everything they shouldn't have and by all accounts should have been the failures -- have just as much chance of success and the sensible people. I didn't know that when I was younger. I wish I had.

The thing is, I know that now. So if I were to take this question to heart, I should be living my life as if it were on borrowed time. I've already outlived the hypothetical average life span. I should be taking as many chances as possible.

I think I'll start tomorrow.

Today's Joy
the snow (I'll go back to this morning in my mind)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's the thing about snow: it looks great right up until you have to go out in it. That's why I want to win the lottery: so I can live somewhere snowy, and pay someone else to run my errands!

I love the way you've answered that question. The older you get, the more you realize that the old adage about finally knowing everything only at the end becomes more and more truthful!