Sunday, November 20, 2011

Alternative Holiday Gifts

Today was a bright, beautiful, sunny warm day. An unexpected surprise on November 20th! It was a great day for a long run along the canal. Not fast, by any means, especially since I was battling cramping the entire way but still a good day.

Today was also one week since my visit to the Alternative Gift Fair last Sunday. A great idea and a nice reminder to me of my oh-so-optomistic vision at the beginning of the year to highlight and donate to a different charity each week of 2011. 2011 sucker punched me right in the head to knock those wonderful thoughts right out of it. But I'm happy to say cynicism won the battle but not the war. 'Cause as of today, I'm reinstating the weekly charity post.

One of the charities at the fair last week was an organization called Touching Tiny Lives. This organization aims to provide medical help and support to children in the small African country of Lesotho. It is estimated that 30% of Lesotho's population is HIV positive.

Touching Tiny Lives has set up a medical clinic to house and care for up to 20 children at a time, as well as providing visits to more remote villages for primary and follow up care. Their booth at the fair included two possible "gift items": $20 to provide a month's supply of food/formula for a child or $35 to supply fuel for 8 medical visits to remote villages.

If anyone else, like me, is feeling that sometimes we get a little too materialistic during the holidays and is looking for their own "alternative gifts", I urge you to visit their website and make a donation in a friend or loved one's name for the holidays.

Today's exercise: 16 mile long run = 16 points + 1 hour of playing "Just Dance" with my neices = 2 points.

Today I was thankful for:
a beautiful warm sunny day

No comments: