Saturday, November 19, 2011

Turkey Trot

Today I officially kicked off the holiday season...I did a turkey trot. Nothing major, just a 5k. But it was super festive and fun and, much like my last weekend with the "more for less" theme, it was a multi-purpose event!





About a year ago, my aunt was diagnosed with uterine cancer. It's been a bit of a tough road for her over the past year, but she is doing pretty well with her treatments and things are looking hopeful. The turkey trot today was for an organization that raises money for cancer research. So a large number of family and friends all signed up and formed a team for her!





This morning, bright and early we all met at a community center and did a little run and then hung out and reconnected and played with the kids and ate some food and generally partied for a while. Plus, there was some good fund raising going on.





It was nice to go for a run with my dad, as well. He was just getting over a cold, so we went at a slightly slower pace than planned (9 min mile) but finished and had fun. What's better on a November morning than running with your dad?





It turned out to be a good kick off for the Holiday Booty Buster Challenge which is also a great holiday tradition around here.





Today's exercise: Run 3 miles, ab workout ---5 points





November 14th I was thankful for:
unexpected and pleasant surprises

November 15th I was thankful for:
a quiet place to come home to after work

November 16th I was thankful for:
being able to teach what I know

November 17th I was thankful for:
organization

November 18th I was thankful for:
productive days off

and today I was thankful for:
the opportunity to hang with my cutie pie nephews

(and the chance to sit down and write a post. I was thinking of it all week, and I was just too busy!)

No comments: