Thursday, October 8, 2009

my clumsy crockpot

It's that time of the week again ... Mamakat time. In keeping with the awesomeness of October, I chose the prompt: "What's cooking in your crockpot?"

The actual answer is nothing, at the moment. But I do intend to break out the ol crockpot this October, to try out some awesome recipes. The big problem with the crockpot is that I generally leave for work at 7:30 am and get home at 9:30 pm. Methinks that may be a bit too long. I generally stock the crockpot the night before, let it cook overnight, let it sit in the fridge and marinate all day, and then heat it up at night when I get home.

The soup recipes I have are NOT crockpot recipes, but I'm going to try to adapt them to the crockpot. I should warn you, however, that I am NOT a good cook. I cannot be held responsible for this untried recipe:

(adapted from the Beyond the Moon Cookbook by Ginny Callan)



Potato-Carrot-Spinach-Soup

* 3 Tablespoons canola oil
* 1 c chopped onions
* 5 large garlic cloves
* 4 c chopped potatos
* 2 c shopped carrots
* 1 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/4 c fresh dill
* c c chopped spinach
* pepper to taste

Put oil, onion, and garlic in pot on high for 20 min. Turn crockpot to low. Add 6 cups water, potatoes, and carrots. Leave overnight. Get up extra early, as you will be pureeing potatoes and carrots with an immersion blender before work. Make sure to rinse said blender pretty well before galloping off. Also, add salt, pepper, and dill to the mix and stir so it can marinate all day.
When you get home from work, put crockpot bowl back in base and turn on high. Add spinach. Let cook while you take a shower, change, clean out work and gym bags, and -- let's face it -- clean the congealed carrot and potato off the immersion blender you forgot to rinse before galloping off this morning.
Eat the soup in front of the TV while watching the Red Sox in the playoffs.

AWESOME!!


Plus -- Yesterday's awesome:
Really strange weather. It was alternating between beautiful, sunny, and still to raining sideways all throughout the day. Watching through the wall of windows in the back of the therapy gym was like a movie on the nature channel!

3 comments:

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

This looks so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I can't wait to try it. I was surprised that more people didn't post crockpot recipes. There were only a couple of us. Go figure.

Margaret aka: Fact Woman said...

You should check out this site http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
for some new new recipes.

Ellie said...

Nice recipe! Thanks for sharing... I might have to dig mine out and have a go.