Sunday, August 17, 2008

TRI, MY LOVE

Today I again spent some quality time with my summer boyfriend, Triathlon. We met early in the morning in the town of Sharon for a nice 1/2 mile swim, 13 mile bike ride and 4.4 mile run. We hung out with lots of other people (most of whom were faster than me) and exchanged stories of how we each discovered our summer love. That's the thing about Triathlon; he is great for socializing, he pushes you to become a better version of yourself, and he makes you feel so alive!

But there is another side to Triathlon. He's a bit of a sponge. First he reels you in, and before you know it, you are shelling out money left and right for all of his needs. He needs new shoes. And a better suit. He needs some money to go to the races. Then a bike. If you don't set limits, his list would be endless! He also has a bit of an addictive personality. One is never enough for ol' Tri. He's constantly searching for his next fix. And he always wants the next one to be a little better than the last.

It's hard not to get caught up in all of Triathlon's hype. I have found myself scanning the REI and EMS fliers to find goodies for him. I'll surf the web looking for opportunities to meet up again. And I must confess, the last two times I was with Triathlon, I came close to throwing up. And I liked it!

So now as I am looking toward the fall calender, I find myself at a crossroad. Do I make a clean break and take my life back from Tri? Or do I spend the fall and winter working out and slimming down in preparation for when we meet again in the spring? I still have a bit of time before I need to make a decision. And in the meantime, I think I'll go pick out a new bike.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, triathalons? you go girl! i wish i had that kind of drive.