Sunday, January 4, 2009

Eighties Music


This weekend, I went out for dinner and a movie with J and K and their 15 year old nephew.
As we were waiting for our food, we heard one 80's pop hit after another.
"What is this? The eighties station?" I asked.
"Probably," J answered. "Do they have an eighties station on satelite radio?"
"Oh, I'm sure they do." I answered. "They probably have several. But why do they have it on the eighties station that plays WHAM?"
"Is this WHAM?" asked J, "or is it George Michael solo?"
"Is there a difference? Does anybody actually know the name of the other guy from WHAM?"
"Who's WHAM?" asked the nephew.
"It was the band George Michael was in during the 80's" answered J.
"They gay guy from England, right? I know who he is, but I didn't know he was in a band."
"See!" I said triumphantly. "No difference whatsoever. But still, of all the bands from the 80's to play...WHAM?"
Two minutes later, I noticed that everyone at the table, 15 year old nephew included, was tapping their feet and bobbing their head along to the WHAM song. (ok. I guess they are kind of catchy)
After dinner, we went to see "Bedtime Stories", the new Adam Sandler movie. Chock full of eighties songs! Starring role: "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey. I believe there is no better way to get a crowd of people riled up than to play that song, whether it's in a movie theater or a road race.
On the way home, we cranked the radio up and all sang along with the Air Supply and Styx block of songs the radio insisted on playing. (Again, why did the 15 year old know all the words to these songs?)
And tonight, I can't wait until 9:00 to catch the first episode of Rock of Love with Brett Michaels.
I can't help it if I'm stuck in the eighties. The entire world around me is, too.

1 comment:

Diane said...

Andrew Ridgeley was the other half of Wham (and the cutest half, in my humble opinion ;)