Thursday, January 29, 2009

Here Kitty Kitty...part 2

After the cat came over for movies and popcorn, he started dropping by whenever he wanted. I had no say in the matter.

He liked coming by to sit on the sofa and watch TV with me. He liked to come in late and sleep on the bed. And he really liked getting something to eat. Whatever I was eating, he demanded a bit of it: "MEOW! MEOW!" I learned not to leave anything out on the counters after I came home from work to see that my package of muffins was now just a...package.

Eventually, I started opening cans of tuna for him.

And I always talked about "that cat." As in: "If that cat thinks he's moving in, he's sadly mistaken. I do not like cats. I like dogs. I do not want a cat. Not even that one."

Eventually somebody pointed out that if I continued to feed that cat tuna, he'd never leave. So I decided to get rid of him. I went to the store and bought the cheapest dry cat food they had. After the tuna, once he got a taste of it, he'd leave and never come back.

He loved the dry cat food. He actually preferred it over tuna.

I finally surrendered and declared him my pet when I noticed we had a night time ritual: I got up to turn off the TV and he ran into the bathroom. I turned on the water and let it drizzle while I brushed my teeth. He batted at the stream of water with his paw while I brushed. When I needed to spit, I made a *kiss-kiss* noise and he moved out of the way. Then went back to playing with the water. When I put my toothbrush away, he made a bee-line for the bed and jumped up, expanding himself spread eagle across the bed. Then he'd look up at me like: "This is mine. Where are you sleeping?"

I figured I should stop calling him that cat and choose a name. He was all black with white feet, a white face, and a white bib. I was leaning toward "Socks", but Chris pointed out that no cat in his right mind would walk around outside in just his socks. Then I suggested "Boots", but Chris pointed out that only his feet were white, not the lower part of his legs. SO then, I told Chris that maybe he should just name the cat. And from then on that cat was known as "White Shoes".


Tonite, the moon looked amazing! I had a wonderful show while I was driving home from work.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I'm not a cat person, but I like 'that cat' :)

Carolina John said...

Yep, you've got yourself a cat there. We got the same thing, a stray that just wouldn't leave. My oldest kid named her "the clear your throat sound" when she was about 18 months old. now the new baby (also 18 months old) has named her kiki, which i think is baby speak for kitty cat.

Heather said...

I'm not a cat person, either. But it seems like that one chose you, not the other way around! :)
Smart kitty.

Lacey said...

I think it's cute that you specifically bought cat food in order to get rid of the cat. I've never heard of that one working before! ;)