Tuesday, September 8, 2009

unsolicited advice

Why is it that we always know exactly what somebody else should do with their love life?

Last weekend, I took a trip down to visit some friends in New York. Over the course of the weekend, I was introduced to one friend's "plus one". The friend of the opposite sex with whom you don't have that spark. But with whom you have a fantastic time. So anytime either of you has an event you don't want to attend solo: wedding, company party, reunion, you call up the other person. You call up your "plus one".

Here's the thing: they were wonderful together. They were happy and cute and funny and flirty. As far as the "we're just not attracted to each other" line, it was completely false. You could cut the sexual tension with a knife! I wanted to get them both liquored up and then lock them into a back room for a couple hours. (I'm sure I could have wandered solo around the streets of New York at night for a while. What's the worst that could happen?)

On the ride back to her place, I proceeded to tell her how crazy I thought she was. How this "plus one" business was ridiculous. How if she didn't leap on him the next time she saw him, I would never speak to her again. I may have stolen her cell phone and texted him similar sentiments.

Ok, before I left, I did promise to just drop it. But I made her promise not to go back to the jerk who had been jerking her around on and off for the past year and a half. He's not good for her. Not like Mr. Plus One.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Wonderful plus ones are hard to come by... and if you date and it doesn't work out, then you don't even have a plus one. But I know, it COULD work out and then you'd have, oh, I dunno, a husband.

Life is just too complicated sometimes.

Carolina John said...

ah, what a good friend you are to care about her that much! i can diagnose running pains quite easily on others, but have to ask for help whenever i get a new pain.

Anonymous said...

Man, I need more friends like you. Wanna come to LA and be my wingman?