Monday, December 20, 2021

RUNNING ON EMPTY

 2) 30 Day Running Streak


Another thing I used to do a lot is run. I ran marathons and half marathons. I ran fun runs, turkey trots, jingle runs and beer runs. I did triathlons, too. I ran, I biked, I swam, I hiked, lifted weights, did yoga, and any other form of exercise I could possibly do. It was such an important part of my life.


Then life got complicated. Mom got sick, COVID hit, I got floated to the ICU. Family conflicts surfaced and anxiety skyrocketed. I'd come home from work, exhausted, and collapse on the sofa, stress-eat, and binge watch Schitts Creek. Running just didn't seem all that important anymore. 


Getting back into running is tough, as well.   I always have to go through my 4 stages of running: 

1) I hate running

2) Everything hurts

3) This isn't so bad

4) I love running!

It takes a while to get there. Plus, the extra weight I put on over the past 2 years makes it harder. 


So I've come back as an absolute beginner. Which is a bummer, having been a long distance runner in the past and having been in the zone where running feels absolutely effortless and amazing. Sometimes it felt like flying! It doesn't feel like flying now.


But I'm hoping to get back into the zone again, eventually. So I'm starting with a walk-to-run 30 day program to ease back into it for Thing # 2. The plan is to move to longer and longer distances each 30 day period. We'll see how it goes. 


No comments: