Thursday, November 11, 2010

crockpot goodness

It's that time of the week again! Time to see what's been cooking in Heather's crockpot.

This week, I pulled a recipe from this book which turned out, I may say, absolutely fantastic. (that should come as no surprise, based on the name)

SENSATIONAL SUN-DRIED TOMATO AND CHICKPEA SOUP

1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves (or more! Double the amount, I say)
1 large carrot, chopped
1 Tbsp dark sesame oil
31/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (I used canned, that's the way I roll)
1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
5-6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped (or more. they're good. more means better)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried mustard (or mustard seed. is there a difference?)
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Braggs (I have no idea what this is. So I left it out. Soup turned out great)
2 cups vegetable stock
2 Tbsp tahini (I left this out, too. Though I do know what it is)
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced (or a few shakes dried parsley)

Pop the onions, garlic, and oil in the crock pot on high. Chop the rest of the vegetables. Turn the crock pot down to low. Add everything else. Cook until the chickpeas are mushy enough to mash with a fork when you test it. Take your handy immersion blender and whip it around in the crock pot a few times. Clean up the mess of splattered soup all over the counter tops and walls. Eat with delicious white cheddar melba snacks.

DELICIOUS!

Today I am grateful for:
1) the sun coming out!
2) and the rain stopping
3) the fact that I have access to a washer and drier and don't have to beat my clothes against a rock to get them clean
4) breath freshening gum
5) how much warmer my head is while I sleep when my apartment is in "winter configuration"

No comments: