Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet potato/ squash bisque

After my trip to the last farmer's market where I bought way too many veggies to eat before they went bad, I busted open the crock pot for lots and lots of soup. I gotta say: I'm impressed at how good the soup turned out!

And I'm resurrecting:

COOKING FOR THE CLUELESS (for the culinary challenged and/or those without a functional oven)

today's recipe was probably pulled out of a magazine or something. I wrote it in my recipe card file but have no idea where it came from.

SWEET POTATO/ SQUASH BISQUE

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium diced onion
1 minced shallot
2 diced granny smith apples
3 diced celery stalks
1 pound diced butternut squash
1 pound diced sweet potatoes
4 cups veggie stock
8 ounces silken tofu
1 dash cumin
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
salt and pepper to taste

Put the olive oil, onion, and shallots in the crock pot on high. While that is getting all nice and warm and smelly, dice the rest of the ingredients. Pop the rest of the veggies in one by one. Then the spices. Look in the fridge and decide to throw in some red peppers and a couple cloves of garlic as well. Add the veggie stock. Turn to low. Then go to bed and let it cook all night.
Wake up around 2 am inundated with the smell of garlic and onions and dreaming that you are trapped in an industrial kitchen with a serial killer after you like in a horror movie. Run around, opening windows and turn on the ceiling fan. Be eternally grateful that the weather warmed up so you can sleep with the windows open without freezing your tuckas off.
Get up in the morning, add the silken tofu. Let that cook for about 20 minutes. Scoop a couple ladles out into storage containers because it looks so good as is.
Then blend the rest with an immersion blender and put in storage containers.

It is super-duper yummy.

Today I am grateful for:

1) spinach pie
2) the gym
3) tea
4) hanging out with my buds
5) my kitty cat

No comments: