Monday, January 3, 2022

WORD UP

 I've never been a big fan of New Year's. When I was younger, I always wanted to go out on New Year's Eve with the belief that on the stroke of midnight, something amazing and magical would happen. It never did. 


More often than not, horrible and tragic things would happen. Fights would break out. People would be crying. And and air of desperation would permeate the establishment as people coupled up, determined not to start the new year alone.  It was a huge let down. 


I am, however, a big fan of goal setting. (I generally do so on my birthday, though, to give myself a 2 week head start over everyone else. That way,  I have a better chance of winning the pretend contest)


A few years ago, I heard of a different New Years tradition. Instead of setting resolutions, you choose a WORD OF THE YEAR. The idea being that you choose how you want your year to go and aim to pursue activities that will support it. 


If I had to choose a word that would sum up the past couple years, it would probably be: DISILLUSIONMENT. Between being an essential worker during COVID, turning 50, and my mother's illness, I lost a lot of faith in people. I lost a lot of hope for the future. I lost my zest for life. 


And I want it all back.


My word for 2022 is RE-DISCOVER.  I want to find those things that made me, well, me. That's what the 52 Thing Challenge is really all about.  In 2022 I want to re-discover me. 

No comments: