Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Yay! Memorial Day Weekend! I haven't been posting, but that's because I've been busy doing summery stuff! Even though today is Monday, this week, Monday is Sunday, Tuesday is Monday, Wednesday is Tuesday, and so on. Just so today, I can gush about how wonderful life is (I'm in that kind of mood).

I got just about everything done that I wanted to accomplish this weekend with two glaring exceptions: (1) I did not take the hard top off the jeep. (seriously - what is wrong with me) and (2) I did not make it up to the Arts Festival in Marshfield. Which is a bummer, 'cause I was told Steve Tyler made an appearance there, and that's always exciting. I've seen him a few times around and he is even stranger looking in real life than he is on TV or in pictures. I'm not sure how this is even possible, but it's true. (Interestingly, I once, saw Liv Tyler in Whole Foods and she is even more gorgeous in real life than on film, but she has the exact same features of her reptilian dad) But, whatever.

I DID get the apartment reconfigured from winter furniture placement to summer furniture placement. (Winter is for maximum heat while sleeping, summer is for maximum breeze and ligh blockage so I don't wake up at the crack of dawn --literally-- every day)

I went to my friends' kids' birthday party and not only jumped in the inflatable jumpy-thing, but played on the twirly see-saw thing. Therefore establishing myself as completely immature for the summer. (Always important for maximum summer fun)

I ran the Run to Remember half marathon yesterday, thereby officially starting the summer race season for me. (and by RACE, I mean something to finish, not something to win) My goal was for a PR in this race, though, and I did accomplish that. The gun time was 2:09:30; the chip time will be posted sometime this week, but its probably around 2:07. I'm pleasantly surprised, as I did not get much running in this month after my ill-fated work-related knee injury. I did a lot of biking and eliptical work, but running just hurt, so minimal running. However, I did fine in the race. Better than fine. (I know 9:45 min mile is nothing to get all excited about, but it is a personal best for me, sadly enough) Strange, I'm a physical therapist and I am forever telling my patients to lay off the running for a couple weeks after an injury, assuring them that they will not lose ground as they heal. But when I take my own advice, I'm FLOORED that it actually works. Go figure.

I went on the first annual Memorial Day Paddle and Picnic. (We came up with that name after the picnic aspect of the event where wine was served) A day of kayaking around Tully Lake with friends in perfect weather. So I got another Memorial Day weekend tradition. (though I have to tell you, sitting in a kayak all day isn't exactly the best thing to do the day after a half marathon)

Summer is here, race season has begun, and I have three short months to sandwich as much fun in as possible.

Happy summer everyone!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Sounds like you've been having a wonderful summer, so far!! I'm so glad to hear it. :)

Carolina John said...

awesome job heather! 2:09 is still way faster than my half marathon pr. way to go, you should be proud anytime you beat a personal best.