Friday, May 29, 2009

Tree Hugger


I don't understand it.
I love trees. Love, love, love, love, love, LOVE trees!
I love the strong majestic branches of southern live oaks, dripping with spanish moss. I love the impossibly tall douglas firs and sequoias of the west coast. I love fun loving, sway in the breeze palm fronds, the precise symmetry of maple leaves, the bright colors of cherry blossoms in Washington DC. I even love the spindly scrub pines of Cape Cod; they aren't the tallest or strongest of the trees, but they mesh with the unique charm of this sandy peninsula.
I am what you call a Tree Hugger. I have pictures sprinkled through my photo albums of me hugging a wide variety of trees throughout the country. I even have a bumper magnet on my jeep that reads "Trees are for Hugging."
So WHY are the trees trying to kill me with their pollen?
It's just not fair!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Man, I'm totally with you. At least you haven't had a kid, though, so you probably don't pee every time you sneeze, huh?

Anonymous said...

haha, oak trees slay me the most. I feel for you!

Anonymous said...

I still remember one day in college in SF, out on the archery field, which was lined with large pines. The sun was shining, and clouds of yellow pollen could be seen coming off the trees.

It was not a very good day.