Saturday, January 29, 2011

cooking for the clueless

I've been working my way through the book Thrive by Brandon Brasier, a vegan triathlete. It has a lot of recipes that I've been working into my diet in an effort to improve my overall health and decrease the amount of animal products I eat. (of course, that sometimes goes out the window. Like this weekend when Nerd came for a visit and I went out and bought min-cheeseburgers for him. And then had a couple for myself)

So this week, I tried a raw recipe, Almond Flaxseed Burger

which is a bit of a misnomer, as it is nothing like a mini-cheeseburger.

It's better. I really liked these:

2 cloves garlic
1 cup almonds
1/2 ground flaxseed
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp coconut oil
sea salt to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processer and blend to desired consistancy.

That's it! There is an option of forming them into patties and cooking them at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. But it's so good raw, I thought, why bother?

I liked eating this on a bed of greens, wrapped in a sheet of nori seaweed, over brown rice, or mixed with veggies like cooked spinach and carrots. One night, I threw it in a tortilla with salsa, lettuce, and rice.

Delish! (just be sure to have some gum handy. Raw garlic makes for strong breath!)

No comments: